Monday, August 21, 2017

August 21, 2017 "One by One"

Elder Ure and I at the temple Saturday 8-19.

Hey everyone!

We drove the van up to the temple again this
 weekend with all these missionaries.


We had to wake up at 3am this morning to take a group of 8 missionaries to the airport, who went home a little early for this semester of school. So we slept at the mission home last night and only had a few hours of sleep. Since today's Pday, we will be able to catch up on a little bit of sleep though.

 Early this morning at the airport, with the
 8 missionaries going home and
President Huntsman being silly in the back.



This week was pretty busy! We had 3 different exchanges with different companionships of zone leaders. I had a great day with each of them. We were able to teach a lot of lessons this week and have met some more great people! Every day is busy in our area! Always lots of people to talk to and there's never a dull moment it seems. We have met all kinds of people.

Throughout my mission, I have kept a list of all of the countries that I have met people from, and this week I reached 100!! I was pretty excited about that. It's been really cool to meet people from throughout the world.

Elder Ross and I on exchange,
after teaching our next door neighbor Kadiatu.
I put on this African shirt that I have when
 we got there, and she absolutely loved it!


There was a quote I heard from our Stake President this week that I really liked. It was a pretty simple phrase, but I think it has a lot of meaning. He said "If you give time to the Lord, the Lord will give you time." Sometimes I think we are so caught up in our daily routines of life, that we feel there is so much on our plate, and so much that we need to get accomplished each day, that we neglect to give the Lord some time. I think one of the best ways that we give time to the Lord is through serving others. I like that promise that our Stake president gave, that if we devote some time throughout our day, or week, towards serving others, the Lord will give us the time we need to accomplish the things that are important to us. We should not feel so stressed and overwhelmed all the time with everything we feel we need to do. But instead if we forget ourself and our own needs, even if it's just for a few minutes out of the day, the Lord will help us have the time that we need to get everything done. I really like that principle.

In my study of the Book of Mormon the past couple weeks, I've read through the Saviors ministry among the Nephites in 3rd Nephi. It's such a great part of the Book of Mormon! I've really enjoyed the different places where I've found the phrase "one by one." Here are some places that I found it.

First in chapter 11:14-15. I love in these verses how the Savior allowed everyone to come and feel his hands, and witness that his atonement has been completed for each of one them. I truly believe that he suffered for us "one by one" and he overcame death, so that each of us, "one by one" can make it back into the presence of the Father.

"Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come."

Elder Baldwin and I on exchange, eating dinner
at SuPollo, a Peruvian chicken restaurant
that we really like nearby our home


Next in chapter 17:18-21. Just as Jesus Christ blessed the little children individually, he blesses each of us "one by one" with strengths, weaknesses, and spiritual gifts, and continues to bless us with so many things every day.

"And it came to pass that when Jesus had made an end of praying unto the Father, he arose; but so great was the joy of the multitude that they were overcome.
And it came to pass that Jesus spake unto them, and bade them arise.
And they arose from the earth, and he said unto them: Blessed are ye because of your faith. And now behold, my joy is full.
And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them."

 This is a lady named Dorothy that we've been
teaching for a couple months. She's super nice!


Then in chapter 18:35-38, before Jesus Christ left his 12 chosen disciples he gave each of them time and attention, touching and speaking to all of them "one by one" before he left their presence.

And now I go unto the Father, because it is expedient that I should go unto the Father for your sakes.
And it came to pass that when Jesus had made an end of these sayings, he touched with his hand the disciples whom he had chosen, one by one, even until he had touched them all, and spake unto them as he touched them.
And the multitude heard not the words which he spake, therefore they did not bear record; but the disciples bare record that he gave them power to give the Holy Ghost. And I will show unto you hereafter that this record is true.
And it came to pass that when Jesus had touched them all, there came a cloud and overshadowed the multitude that they could not see Jesus.
And while they were overshadowed he departed from them, and ascended into heaven...

Here's a better picture from the
baptism of Christian and Stephanie
from 2 weeks ago.


Then again in chapter 28 verse 1 "he spake unto his disciples, one by one, saying unto them: What is it that ye desire of me, after that I am gone to the Father?"

I hope I (and all of us) can follow the Saviors example by loving, serving, and speaking to others "one by one," just as He did. Giving others the gift of our love, time, and attention is so important!
Anyways, thanks for being patient with me and all my scriptures I put into here.

I love you all! I hope you have a great week! Happy birthday to the best Momma in the whole world! She's THE best! I'm so grateful to have a incredible, loving mother who has done so much for me throughout my life!

Elder Jeremy Duvall
Washington DC South Mission




No comments:

Post a Comment