Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25, 2017 "Great is Your Reward"

Hey everyone!

We're about halfway through is transfer. I'm not sure if I'll do another one here or not yet since it's my 4th transfer here, but I am continuing to enjoy each week!

Elder and Sister Craig (housing coordinator
and mission nurse)-going back home to Kentucky!

 Elder and Sister Hansen (finance
and office secretary),
going back to Utah.

Elder and Sister Browne (car coordinator 

and referrals/supplies manager),
 going back home to Orem.
I've interacted with them the most of
 all the senior couples.
I'm going to miss them all!

After finishing the rest of our Zone Conferences this week, we said goodbye to the 3 senior couples that work in the mission office. They each have finished their missions and are being replaced with new couples. I've gotten to know them all super well over the course of my mission, so I will miss each of them!

We were able to meet with Pam a couple times this past week. She's doing pretty good! She has already read a decent amount of the Book of Mormon on her own. Without us giving her anything specific to read, she read through Joseph Smith's testimony, along with the testimonies of the three and eight witnesses, and understood quite a bit of it! She continues to tell us how she's searching for more peace in her life, and she recognizes the spirit she feels after meeting with us and wants to keep building upon that.

We have one investigator named Dorothy, who we have taught pretty consistently over my past 5 months in this ward. She has slowly began to understand the gospel as we have met with her. We had been debating whether or not to continue teaching her because she didn't seem to be progressing much. But she surprised us on Saturday night when we invited her to church (for the 15th time) by saying yes. She came to church yesterday and really enjoyed everything! She mentioned how it seemed to her that "there is a place for everyone!" She liked how all the kids, youth, adults, men, and women all have a place in the church. She's excited to continue learning and to start coming to church more regularly. We told her last week "people can meet with us all they want, but until they actually come and see for themselves, they'll likely never truly be able to gain a lasting testimony of what we teach." So finally, she was able to come and see, and had a great time.

We've been teaching Edith and her daughter
Audrey for a little while. They're sweet!

We were also able to find a couple other investigators this week, one named Octavia, and a young couple named Cindy and Andres. In both situations finding them, I know without a doubt we were led by the spirit to go to the specific places to find them. Sometimes it's hard to discern what's just our own thoughts and what's the spirit, but I know we were led to them.

We pulled up into his neighborhood,
 and Kofi came running to the car to see us.



                  Every week we are able to find numerous new investigators, and people to teach the message of the Restoration to. We meet people who are nice, and willing to listen with open ears. On the other hand though, each week we'll come in contact with people who will say and do things to us that aren't nice at all, and will just want to argue and contend with us. With this in mind, a couple scriptures bring me a lot of peace, as well as confidence and assurance.

This first is 3rd Nephi 21:9-10
"For in that day, for my sake shall the Father work a work, which shall be a great and a marvelous work among them; and there shall be among them those who will not believe it, although a man shall declare it unto them. But behold, the life of my servant shall be in my hand; therefore they shall not hurt him, although he shall be marred because of them. Yet I will heal him, for I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil."

The second scripture is Matthew 5:10-12
"Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

Missionaries and members of the church throughout the world are sharing the great and marvelous truths of the gospel, but there are people everywhere who will try and oppose, reject, and ignore the truth. There has always been opposition and always will be. But we can continue to press forward with confidence that we are in the Lord's hand, and that he will reward us in heaven for proclaiming His gospel, even if we may be ridiculed for doing so. I am so grateful to be a missionary here at this time and I am grateful for the testimony I have of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I'm looking forward to General Conference this week! I'm excited to learn from the leaders of the church and hear what they have to say. I love you all and I hope you have a great week!!

Elder Jeremy Duvall
Washington DC South Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment