Monday, September 4, 2017

September 4, 2017 "Down Payment on Tomorrow's Happiness"

Hey everyone!

Today is the day before transfers, and we picked up 34 brand new missionaries from the airport today! That is the biggest group that President Huntsman has had since being a mission President. Elder Ure and I had to drive separate cars full of missionaries, along with President and Sister Huntsman each having to drive a vehicle as well. It was fun welcoming them all to DC! Each time I go back to that airport, I think back to the time that I walked off that plane. It always feels as if that were just a few weeks ago, but when I stop and think about it, SO much has happened since that day. I've had so many experiences and met so many incredible people over the past 20 months!

This past week marks one year since Asif and Isha were baptized. They are both doing well! Asif was baptized at the end of August last year, and Isha was the first week of September. Isha has been doing great. Her ward meets in the same building as us, so it's fun running into her every now and then.
I emailed Asif this week checking up on him, pointing out that it has been one year since his baptism, asking how he and his family have been doing in Dubai, and his response was the best. I love imagining his accent saying these words, he responded "Thanks a lot brother, me and my family following all our lord Jesus Christ commandments and we are very happy and always thankful to you and our brother Elder Judkins as well. Thanks a lot for remember my baptism day, I feel it's my birth day. We wish our lord Jesus Christ will bless us and give us a place in the celestial kingdom, where he's living with his beloved father in the name of Jesus Christ amen."

Last night we had the new member fireside that we do every transfer, where recent converts speak and talk about their conversion stories. That is by far my favorite meeting. I've been able to attend it numerous times over the course of my mission. Sitting up at the front looking out, I noticed a companionship of sister missionaries walking in late in the back. They walked in with Katie, who I found and taught in the spring of 2016, who was eventually baptized at the beginning of this year. I made eye contact with her and she saw me and just had the biggest smile on her face. I had the thought/impression while seeing her, that if she was the only one I had an impact on on my mission, these two years would have all been worth it. I have been able to see many people's lives blessed by the gospel, but perhaps hers more than anyone else. Her path towards baptism took a while, through many sets of missionaries, but has been strong in the gospel ever since her baptism. Talking to her after the meeting, she explained that she just accepted a calling to serve as a Young Women's Sunday school teacher, which she is nervous about, but I know she'll do great!

This week was pretty busy. We don't usually spend much time in our mission office, because we try to proselyte in our area as much as possible. But we had a lot to get done in preparation for this week, so we were there a bit more than usual this past week.

Here's Tenisha holding her brand new baby.
 I think she weighs a little over 4 pounds now.
And then there's two more of her kids, Amaree and Amani.

But we still were able to teach some great lessons to our investigators this week. We had an awesome lesson with Tenisha and a couple of her kids, Amaree and Amani. We met her months ago, but we're finally able to start teaching her a couple times a week the past few weeks. She has had many health struggles that've prevented us from meeting with her, and has been in and out of the hospital throughout the year, but her health is finally starting to stay steady. She actually just had a baby as well about a month ago. The baby, named Amaya, was born premature though, at 2.5 pounds and had to stay in the hospital for the first month until last week when she was able to take her home. It's growing really healthy though and is such a precious little thing! Tenisha has been extremely humbled by everything that's gone on in her life, and has really embraced the opportunity to learn about the gospel. It's cool to see her enthusiasm to learn, despite all the struggles she goes through.

Elder Ure, Logan, and I with Gifty,
one of our many Ghanaian investigators
who we've been teaching.

A quote that I heard a while back from a good friend said that "Gratitude is a down payment on tomorrow's happiness." We all will experience different trials in our lives. But no matter where we are at, we can find all things to be grateful for. If we hold on to the good memories, good experiences, and blessings that we do have, instead of focusing on what we don't have, we can and use that perspective to motivate us to press forward. Tenisha, and many of the people I have taught on my mission, have exemplified this perspective, having a spirit of gratitude despite their circumstances.
I know that that is something that can help all of us, and I know that as we express our gratitude towards others and towards our Father in Heaven, that it truly will turn out to be "a down payment on tomorrow's happiness."

I love you all! Hope you have a great week!!

Elder Jeremy Duvall
Washington DC South Mission



No comments:

Post a Comment